Soft skills with hard edge results
Every summer since 1995 I have run a week-long, residential psychology summer school with Jonathan Smith, former Lecturer in Psychology at Birkbeck. Originally this began as part of Birkbeck's Faculty of Continuing Education summer school programme, at Westonbirt School in Goucestershire, but due to the popularity of our sessions and student demand, it has long since continued as an independent programme.
For ten glorious summers the residential week was held at Glenfall House, which is set in beautiful gardens, surrounded by the stunning Gloucestershire countryside. Unfortunately, Glenfall was put up for sale, so in 2014 we had to find a new venue - hard to find somewhere to compare with our wonderful years at Glenfall! Luckily we found Holland House in Worcestershire which is a gorgeous Tudor house in the beautiful vale of Evesham, with gardens leading down to the river Avon. We are very happy with our new summer home! See http://www.mindfulmeditationretreats.co.uk
Each year we choose a completely different subject and we explore a range of relevant theories and models through trainer input, group discussion and practical work.
The psychology summer school is a wonderful opportunity to learn about unusual aspects of psychology, always with a practical focus and an emphasis on how the ideas relate to our day-to-day lives. The weeks have proved very popular indeed, and attract a wide range of people from all walks of life.
- Fulfilment: what does it mean to live a fulfilling life? (July 2019)
- Inner & Outer Worlds (July 2018)
- Psychology and the Arts (July 2017)
- Eco-psychology: Psychology of Nature (July 2016)
- Taking Care and Letting Go (July 2015)
- The Psychology of Change (July 2014 at our new venue Holland House in Worcestershire)
- Here and Now: Being in the Present
- Is Child Parent to the Adult? (Transactional Analysis)
- Exploring the Johari Window
- Psychologies of East and West
- Self & Others: Relating to the World
- Wisdom of the Ages
- Therapies Explained
- What's Important? The Psychology of Values
- Roles, Masks and Relationships: Drama Therapy and Everyday Life
- Self Actualisation
- Transpersonal Psychology: Integrating Mind and Spirit
- The Origins of Love and Hate: Myths of Light and Dark
- Character and Destiny
- Jungian Psychology (parts one and two, ran over two summers)
- Emotional Intelligence
- The Seven Deadly Sins
- Evolutionary Psychology
As you can see, these residential courses cover a wide range of fascinating psychological topics. If you would like to book something along these lines for your own group, tailored to your own needs, either as a week-long or shorter residential, please contact me to discuss your requirements.